The Winnsboro State Bank opened for business in 1902 at a time when the dollar was a dollar. Its inception coincided with the incorporation of the Town of Winnsboro, and the progress of the town, as well as the parish, as a whole, has been markedly influenced by the progress of the bank.
On September 2nd, 1902, when the bank first opened its doors, assets totaled $20,000.00. At the close of business on June 30, 1977, assets totals $27,560,996.51. Two years later the total assets of the bank at the close of business December 31, 1979, were $37,394,934.04. More recently, at the close of business December 31, 2013 assets totaled $134,264,323.41.
When the bank opened its doors a century ago, W.J. Cordill served as president. Other officers then included L.A. Thompson, Vice President, and B.S. Landis, Sr., Cashier.
Serving on the first Board of Directors were; W.J. Cordill, A. Landauer, L.A. Thomason, R.M. Ward, J. Pipes, W.H. Adams, A.D.O. Moore, T.B. Gilbert, Jr., and Dr. C.L. Ramage.
The first bank was located in the building formerly occupied by the offices of The Franklin Sun. Later the bank was moved across the street and in 1962 extensive building and remodeling was done providing a modern banking facility in which customers were served until January 1994. A new modern bank building was completed in January 1994, and the Main Office opened at 3875 Front Street on January 31, 1994. A branch office is operated in Gilbert, Louisiana, the bank having acquired the former Gilbert bank in 1926. In the summer of 1997, an in-store branch was opened in the new Wal-Mart Supercenter.
The bank is celebrating over one hundred twelve years of service to the Franklin Parish community. While appreciating the dedication and hard work that has gone into this great accomplishment, we still realize that many challenges face the banking industry in the future. Winnsboro State Bank will strive to meet those challenges head-on, maintaining our community bank image to better serve our customers.
STANDING THE TEST OF TIME SINCE 1902